Friday 15 April 2011

Day 96: Spring/Summer 2011 trend challenge - Denim beginnings

So, I have mentioned a number of times that I was keen to challenge myself to create all the key Spring/Summer 2011 trends from the clothes I already have in my wardrobe since I'm banned from shopping. Can it be done? Is it possible to look on trend without shopping for those key season defining items? Do our wardrobes already hold all the answers? Well over the next few weeks I will be trying to create the trends from the season. I don't plan to do it every day as have some other committments but will try and cover them all well before the season is underway.

According to UK Vogue these are the season's key trends:
colour blocking; smart sportswear; modern handicraft; blue; gathering; flowing; white; denim; fiesta; tangerine; eastern; layers; nude; nature; accessories; cover ups and 70s.

So in no particular order my first look is going to be denim.... In my FBFF Spring into Summer post I listed denim as one of the trends I was keen to try out. This season it is being incorporated into clothes for every occasion - in and out of the workplace.

Vogue UK's Spring/Summer 2011 catwalk report


            • Denim Jacket: East
            • Jeggings: Marks and Spencer
            • T-shirt: Dorothy Perkins
            • Shoe boots: Marks and Spencer

I often wear jeans or jeggings but don't wear the head to toe look or do the double denim as I remember it the first time round and have horrendous flashbacks of stonewashed jeans and matching jackets. I decided it was time to banish those memories and give the full look a go. I incorporated my favourite and oft worn jeggings with a tailored denim blazer which is both a different denim tone and finish as it has a slight sheen. The look is modern and bears no relation to the styling of the eighties.

I think I have proven in the case of Lori's wardrobe versus denim that the season's denim trend can be created without a visit to the High Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment