Friday 11 February 2011

Day 33: Colour me happy

 
                       

          • Black dress: Gap
          • Grey cardi: Matalan
          • Red necklace: East
          • Plum coloured tights: Bhs
          • Black shoes: Marks and Spencer
          • Pink scarf: East

Although I usually dress less formally at work on Fridays I had a meeting this afternoon and had to be more business like. By complete conincidence my outerwear is more colourful than usual and I just happen to be wearing coloured tights although I am not part of the lucky group who received some tights. The reason I am talking about colour is because it is Friend Friday again and this week's theme, which is very close to my heart, is Colour Wars.

1. What colour dominates your closet?
My wardrobe used to be dominated by black as I mentioned on Day 8 and in numerous other posts since then. I made a conscious decision to try to stop wearing black a number of years ago and since beginning this post I have realised that 'safe' black has been exchanged for 'safe' grey. The colours that dominate my wardrobe are jewel tones, mainly purples, reds and deep pinks. I have almost no yellow or orange and very little blue.

2. If money weren't an issue how would you change the colour emphasis in your closet?
I think having pots of money would definitely make me more adventurous. For example when buying a new handbag I tend to go for black or brown particularly if I am spending a bit more money as I weigh up how much use I'll get from it and how practical it will be. I would love to be able to afford that coral coloured winter coat but when making a one off season investment it is much harder to go with an out there colour. This I think may be where vintage/thrift shopping is the answer.

3. What is your mantra about mixing colours?
I have a tendency to be a bit too matchy matchy when it comes to colours and I also used to fall into the trap of wearing colours with black. This was an easy/lazy option for work as grabbing a pair of black work trousers and then any number of different tops is a no brainer. I am trying to ween myself of this habit as it is not very creative and I think matching colours with black can cheapen the look of some colours.

4. For you, how do you incorporate colour into your outfits?
I definitely have a tendency to wear darker colours in the winter and brighter and lighter colours in the summer, however Scotland's climate tends to call on winter attire in the height of summer at times. I tend to incorporate colour mainly through accessories. As I am not shopping for a year I am learning to remix my wardrobe in different ways but it also means I have to work with what I already have. Even if I reach a point where I am brave enough to clash citrus colours I can't go out and buy those hews.

5. Which blogger(s) do you think do a good job of incorporating colour into their wardrobe?
I recently complimented Emma at Daily Clothes Fix on her brave colour choices for the 30 for 30 challenge so I will go with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment