Monday 17 January 2011

Day 8: One week forward, two steps back

After completing my last blog, in which I vowed to give more time to planning my outfits, I decided to be true to my word and since it was a Sunday evening give it a go.

On looking through my wardrobe and reflecting on the weeks outfits I realised two things. Firstly, that my wardrobe is in serious need of an overhaul and a major clearout. Secondly, that my pride in moving away from black has not, judging by the general theme of last week, brought colour to my life. Instead, I appear to have shifted towards grey and am embracing what can most closely be described as 'drab'. I definitely don't have a technicolour wardrobe and my winter clothes in particular are less than colourful so I need to find ways to incorporate the colour I do have into my outfits. On that note, I picked out the outfit below. Not exactly the colours of the rainbow and playing it quite safe with navy instead of black or grey but a different look nonetheless. So this was the plan as I headed off to bed.



Fast forward to this morning to 8am and I was full of doubts over this outfit. I can't quite put my finger on what felt wrong. It was maybe the higher heels than I have worn in a while or the summer skirt in winter, which I have actually never worn but it wasn't right. Now, I was hardly proposing to go out in something wildly avant garde but I turned back to my wardrobe and started anew. This is what I wore today:


              • Black long sleeved T shirt: H&M
              • Purple cardigan: Marks and Spencer
              • Grey skirt: Marks and Spencer
              • Snow leopard print scarf: Next
              • Black tights: Marks and Spencer
              • Black shoes: Marks and Spencer

This outfit is ok. But that is just it - it is ok. It is work appropriate and it is safe and now that I think about it it very closely resembles my Day 1 outfit. Where is the variety, where is the outward demonstration of the passion for fashion that is inside me. I am either being a little too hard on myself or stuck in a rut! Maybe my planned look will yet fulfill its destiny.


Outerwear
      • Green coat: Primark
      • Grey hat: Marks and Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment